So today is Sunday, the day when "most good Christians" go to church. But what really defines a "good Christian?" I mean, does it mean to be a "good Christian" you go to church every Sunday, or does it mean that you just believe in God, or does it really have any meaning?
A lot of my friends go to church, EVERY week. And I mean that is great! I am impressed. However, I do not go to church every week; sometimes because I have to work that afternoon and need my morning to myself, or sometimes because I am lazy and want to sleep in. Does it make me a "bad Christian" to not go to church every week? If it does make me a "bad Christian," then so is most of the Christian community; since not everyone can or does go to church every week.
I mean, I talk to God every day. Maybe not for hours upon hours in meditation, but at least once a day God and I communicate (well mostly me talking and him hopefully listening). Which is pretty great, that I feel like I can get "one-on-one" time with him everyday. I mean I understand that everyone who talks to God, gets a "one-on-one" conversation, but I know that when I talk to him it is just my time.
Today at church, my church did what is called a Rite13 service (a celebration of manhood and womanhood). This celebration happened for the one 8th grader we had, and his transition from middle school to high school. I was so proud of the high school students that showed up and supported Graeme in the service and also to the middle school students because they will in future years be going through the same service! I mean, I know that other religions have a celebration when a child turns 13 (and in past times, this service has been done when a child is 13); however, we decided to change our service to be about moving from one school to another and not the age so much. I know that in future years there will be more than one student transitioning from middle to high school (and I am perfectly fine with that). I welcome new kids into the senior high youth group with open arms and a loving heart! I care for each one of my kids, individually and collectively.
Okay, so back to the "G" word: GOD! I mean, do people still believe in him? Do people still think he is around, and present in their lives? Do people think about what it means to be a child of God's? I wonder all these and more questions when it comes to God and the "G" word. What exactly are people afraid of when they say it? I mean I understand "G.D" and all that, but I mean what harm comes of saying it in the pledge of allegiance or having it on our money? I mean, looking back in history; was not our country founded on freedom of religion? So, if that is true, why are we "punishing" people who do not believe in the same religion as ourselves? Or better yet, why are we "punishing" ourselves? I mean, I am not saying that every single person in the world should get along and be best friends, but I am saying that if we all pray to the same God at night why can we not friends and get along? What is it that when putting the "G" word into something it becomes such an issue? Why do we having to fight over the same thing?
Think about it...
No comments:
Post a Comment