Okay, so I was adopted and came over to America when I was three months and eighteen days old; so let's just say that I know nothing about my life before America. My parents adopted me through Welcome House in Roanoke, Virginia. I must admit, growing up not looking like everyone else had its downs; yet it also had its ups. My mother use to tell me how her friend Stephanie, her son Ben, my mother and myself (Ben was like four days older than me) would all go out to lunch; and I would get all the attention because I was this cute little baby who looked nothing like anyone else. I must admit, being "one of a kind" was pretty interesting; but being "one of a kind" sucks. I hated going to school, especially in Winchester, and being the ONLY Asian in my class (yes people, ASIAN, not Oriental - that is a rug). I accepted that I looked nothing like my friends, parents or pretty much anyone else I knew. There were a few other Asians in my school, but we were not really close. Once I went off to college, I still seemed to be the only one; until my Sophomore year I became an International buddy. At that point I realized that Longwood had a lot of International students (lots of them Chinese). Now yes, I am Korean; but being near a bunch of other Asians felt very nice (in a sense).
I mean, I have never found Asian guys to be attractive. My boyfriend is proof to that, he's blonde hair and blue eyes. My best friend from high school (and still is) is black. My parents are both white, with brown hair. All my cousins, Aunts and Uncles look alike also! So, I have never had an Asian friend. I mean, I befriended my International students; but it was not the same.
On Facebook, I found a group called Korean American Adoptees. I asked to be let into the group, was accepted. This group is full of Korean American Adoptees (hence the name), from all over the United States. People in the site talk about where they are, and a lot of them talk about looking for their biological parents. It has made me wonder if I want to look for my biological parents. I know that my adoptive parents (the ones who raised me) love me deeply, and would never trade me for the world; yet part of me has always felt like something was missing. I realized as a child I was always fascinated by other Asians, and still am today; and I think it is because I have no one in that sense.
I know the agency my parents went through is closed now, so finding my parents would be a difficult issue; also I realize that what if I do find my biological parents and they do not want to meet me! I mean, I understand that people move on and what not; yet if you gave up a child, would you not want to meet them later on in life. To explain why you gave them up for adoption, or at least see how the child is doing. I know I would want to, and maybe that is just me.
I have found (through the FB group) a site that helps people find their biological parents; and potential meet-up (makes me happy)!!! Holt International is the website. They sponsor all kinds of things. They sponsor trips to the "homeland" to visit, and have a potential meet-up with either your foster parents or biological parents. I mean, we have this picture of me as a young baby (before I came over to America) being held by this lady; and I have always wondered if she was my social worker, foster mother or who? She seems to old to be my biological mother (my paperwork tells me that my parents were both young 20s). Of course, I do not know if my paperwork is even true. A lot of people on the FB page have discussed that their paperwork was falsified (yikes)!
So, I want to hear from readers: if you were adopted, and had the opportunity to find your biological parents; would you???
We shall see, I will keep everyone updated on my hopeful search.
P.S. Mom, I love you! I am not trying to get rid of you, silly!
hey, I think it would be cool. And remember Mary Lewis she said she could help too.
ReplyDelete