Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Television... The worse of the best.

Since I only have a part-time job; I do spent a lot of time watching television.  Well, the television is on; but I do not really pay attention all the time.  So television.  Cable.  High-speed.  Fios.  In a sense it is all the same.  And, let me start this blog by stating that I am not addicted to television; however the fun I receive from watching it is another story, nor have I grown up always having a television.

I remember as a child, the television was this big box my father would turn on the television and fall asleep; and that held fast until probably now in life.  The television was just something I do not remember paying a lot of attention to.

Then in middle and high school, television being that thing that was there; but I never had time to watch it, except when I was sick and home from school.  I would have friends talk every day about what they watched the night before on television and comparing about what happened.

It was until I went to college, I had never had a television in my room or full access to watching the television whenever I wanted.  At that point, I was able to "catch" up on so many things I had missed, such as Scooby-Doo, Tom and Jerry, Will & Grace, and Sex and the City.  Though, having a television did make for a great distraction listening to noise doing homework; however sometimes I wished I did not have a television so I probably would have gotten a lot more done.

Yet, everything I go home for school breaks or summer I did not have a television to watch every night.  The television in my house is in the family room, downstairs at the other end of the house from my room.  So again, the television became a myth of life.

When I moved into my apartment in Farmville, I got my very own television for my room; since my apartment had a television in the living room.  Having a HD television, opened my eyes to the "view" of television.  Again, television became a great part of my life.

Still now watching television, I am slightly amazed at the stupidity of what appears on my television screen.  Commercials especially are interesting to me.  The ones about health issues are especially interesting; since "it is a non-attorney spokesperson" talking about why you need to find this lawyer and what diseases you could have because you did some kind of procedure or took some pill.  Also, the kids commercials especially about items you have to be eighteen or older to order.  Most of these things I would never ever think about buying these items for children; or the huge amount of money it cost, plus the shipping and handling fees.

Besides all the weird commercials, all the weird television shows that come on are interesting.  I understand that there are different levels of weird; and different shows.  I will focus on children shows, reality shows, video games then the news.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Scooby-gang-1969.jpg
Photo Caption: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TomandJerryTitleCardc.jpg
I mean I still watching Scooby-Doo and Tom and Jerry; however other shows I see commercials for scare me and I would never let my children watch them. All of these new cartoons, are stupid and have true morals or ideas to implant in children except something stupid about being able to change into an alien or monster fighter.  Also the quality of cartoons nowadays are no where near what it use to be.  The change in quality of cartoons, wonders the difference between drawers and the people running the companies.  The change in quality of production between when Scooby-Doo and Tom and Jerry and now the quality of shows that come up on Cartoon Network; I mean Adventure Time, Chowder, Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, The Grim Adventures of Billy, and all of these Star Wars shows.  The weird shows that are now for kids; along with the Disney or Nickelodeon channel (Wizards, Sponge, Phineas & Ferb, iCarly, Jonas, etc); do make me wonder what exactly our kids are watching on television.  The things that kids go around quoting because they saw it on television or what they want to wear because some "celebrity" came up with the clothes that are the "newest fashion" for kids.  Dear lord, I have seen the clothes that Miley came up with, and I would never let my child wear them.


"Reality" shows are something that I just do not understand.  All of the "helping" shows about millionaires who give away part of their money, or building a new house for a needing family.  I believe these ideals and practices are needed; but truly does it need to be on television for it to happen?  Now I mean I wish I had money, because I would use it to help those less fortunate than myself.  I mean I wonder about the show where millionaires give up part of their money; do they really do it, how big of a tax break do they get out of it, how much do they give away, what happens to the people who receive the money afterwards.

Television is a great thing; to a certain extent.  I do understand how people can be obsessed with what goes on on the television, and the items that go along with the television such as video games.  I realize that the news is sad, however it is the truth; yet video games are ninety percent about killing "people" to get points.  The fact that parents allow kids to pay video games that are all about killing others, need to get a head slap and realize that it is not right.  Video games do not teach children anything except that you can kill "people" to advance in life.  The fact that some parents will play these games with their children, does not help anything at all.
I mean I understand that there are video games out there that promote education, however most of those games are designated for younger children.  I understand that children once they start school are all on different learning levels; but still could there be some game for children after they start school that is not about killing.
And yes, I know there are games of dancing and games based on movies that come out.  However, when something bad happens because a kid played video games it is always about the killing games; they never mention anything else even if the kid had other games.
Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that all kids who play "killing" games go out and kill people; but kids who play those types of games and are bullied at school think the only way out  of the cycle they live in is to resort to those games that they trust so much.  The idea in the games does not help the kids any; nor does the news.

I know the news is the "truth;" well as much as the government will allow the people to see.  I understand that the news channels are each politically based, however they still do not cover everything that is going on.  I get that people are "sensitive" to economic and political beliefs however I still believe the news sensors what goes on.


Ok, that's all of the ranting going on for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment